Thursday, January 30, 2014

Venis of Urbino

     The other day in class we observed two painting. One of which was Venus Of Urbino by  Titian.  The painting to me represented how power and self-indulgence can overwhelm or even consume a individual to the point of blinding them to the world around them.
     As I analyzed the piece I saw a woman's nude figure, nonchalantly draped over what I would assume is her bed.  She holds a bushel of grapes in one hand while the other covers her most private area.  A small dog lies sleeping in a ball at her delicately crossed feet.  Her face has a seductive expression that seems to be directed straight at the viewer.  I also observed a women and small child in the background.  The little girl seems to be searching for something with the aid or to the dismay of the women.  Our muse seems not to even notice them or have a care in the world.  Such as the powerful often are.
     Her careless persona led to my curiosity of what was going on with the others in the painting.  Was everything okay? Was something lost?  What exactly where they doing?  Furthermore how could this women not realize or even bat an eye to whatever was going on behind her.  She began to look to me as pompous or drunk with power, not even registering anything that did not pertain to her.
     The smug yet seductive glare on her face really grabbed my eye.  It covertly demands attention.  It almost completely overwhelms the mind to the point where the onlooker forgets about those individuals in the background.  The only thing we know is that they look like they could use help and the nude women is not gonna help.
     This only proved to me that my initial feeling.  That the powerful often are blinded.  They sometimes can lose sight of everything around them.  People of power often become so self-indulgent that the world out side of their just dissolves into the backdrop.


No comments:

Post a Comment